Trimbakeshwar is the ancient town located 28km from Nashik city. It is sacred and holy city as ancient Shiva temple of Trimbakeshswara is considered to be one of 12 Jyotirlinga. It is located at origin of river Godavari which is the longest river in southern part of India. Kushavarta Kund is considered as origin of river Godavari which is located on mount Brahamagiri. It is said that anyone who visit Trimabakeshswara and bath in holy water of Godavari especially at Kushavarta kunda attains salvation.
There are many reasons to make this place so sacred.
- It is considered as the place of Tri-Sandhya Gayatri, the birth place of Lord Ganesha.
- It is the place of origin for river Godavari.
- The first Nath of Nath Sampradaya originated here like Gorakhnath and others.
- It is a place where Nivrittinath was made to assimilate holy knowledge by his Guru Gahininath.
- It is considered as holiest place to perform Shradha ceremony like Narayan nagbali As per Nirnaya Sindhu - a religious book of Hindus.
This is very special Shiva temple as all Trinity lords the Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh reside in a hollow space of Shiv Lingam. The temple was built by Nanasaheb Peshwa in 1755-1786 AD. The linga stone was emerged naturally.